16. Health in X-Men
Health in fandom returns as Robyn decides to dig deep into her favorite comic property: the X-Men. She discusses the best (and often worst) examples of wellness inside of the property, and how we can translate those lessons into our own lives.
Resources used/mentioned in this episode:
- On family style meals: https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/nutrition/resources/servmealsfs.htm
- Wolverine beer meme: https://en.dopl3r.com/memes/dank/can-i-help-are-you-a-beer/173054
- Mental health in Dark Phoenix: https://screenrant.com/xmen-dark-phoenix-jean-grey-mental-health-research/
- Mental health in Legion: https://www.vulture.com/2017/03/marvel-legion-tackled-mental-illness-with-intelligence.html
- Flashbacks: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-new-normal/201812/understanding-and-managing-flashbacks
- Personal superpowers: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/bipolar-advantage/201405/we-are-the-x-men
- Red meat diet: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/eating-less-red-meat-good-family/#:~:text=Data%20has%20shown%20time%20and,in%20both%20children%20and%20adults
- CDC on alcohol use: https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm
If you or someone you know would like help with alcohol dependence, many states will have resources on their government websites like this one https://findaddictiontreatment.ny.gov/ in New York.
Other helpful sites include https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline and https://www.aa.org/
Remember to head to thelistener.co and use healthygeek20 at checkout for two free months of a great daily podcast recommendation newsletter.
Visit MischiefMerch.com for fun fandom-inspired merchandise like this Fanfiction Trope tote or this Let Me Be Perfectly Queer tee. Place your orders by December 1st to ensure shipping in time for the holidays!
Head to patreon.com/makingmischief to help support our podcast endeavors. We have tiers of all levels, simply select the one that’s right for you.
The host of Healthy Geek Academy is Robyn Warren
This show is produced and edited by Leah Cornish
Follow us on social! We’re @healthygeekpod on instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!
Follow Robyn @geekgirlstrong
Thanks again for listening!