7. Sleep is Self-Care!
Turns out that a pandemic and civil unrest aren’t great for all of our sleeping habits. Who knew? So Robyn did a bit of a deep dive into all the benefits good sleep can have on our bodies. There’s tips and tricks for trying to overcome different types of insomnia, what to do if you’re a morning person vs a night owl, debunking the myths surrounding teenagers and sleep schedules, and even a D&D reference! Because “geek” is right there in the title of the show. There’s no way to avoid it.
Resources used and mentioned:
- U Mich https://medicine.umich.edu/dept/psychiatry/michigan-psychiatry-resources-covid-19/your-lifestyle/supporting-sleep-during-covid-19-pandemic
- U Chicago https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/advice-for-sleeping-well-during-the-covid-19-outbreak
- Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/5-tips-for-getting-quality-sleep-during-the-covid-19-pandemic
- Johns Hopkins https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787390/all/Managing_Sleep_Problems_during_COVID_19
- Sleep… by Nick Littlehales https://bookshop.org/books/sleep-the-myth-of-8-hours-the-power-of-naps-and-the-new-plan-to-recharge-your-body-and-mind/9780738234625
On teens, school start times, and sleeping:
- NYT opinion piece: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/upshot/the-economic-case-for-letting-teenagers-sleep-a-little-later.html
- Debunking the myth of summer vacation (PBS): https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/debunking-myth-summer-vacation
- Rand study: https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2109.html?adbsc=social_20170831_1772051&adbid=903257824167313410&adbpl=tw&adbpr=22545453
- Jama Pediatrics study: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/article-abstract/2765038
To go and install Tab for a Cause today, simply head to tabforacause.org/healthygeek
Remember to check out mischiefmerch.com/ for all of your geeky needs!
Visit patreon.com/makingmischief to help support our podcast endeavors. We have tiers of all levels, simply select the one that’s right for you.
The host of Healthy Geek Academy is Robyn Warren
This show is produced and edited by Leah Cornish
Follow Robyn @geekgirlstrong
Thanks again for listening!